Friday, March 16, 2012

Just A Cold... Kind Of

So I have to say, I'm really glad I wrote that last post when I did... about ending what could have been emergent with a best case scenario.  Before I go any further, I do realize this week could have been so much worse, and is for other children and families... but for my family, it was a rough one.

Today I found myself asking for what feels like the millionth time, why does it have to be so hard for Samuel?!  Said with tears, said with anger, said with fear, and said with the purest purpose of really wanting to know.  Again, it wasn't an awful week... it just shouldn't have to be bad at all.

Kind of funny, as I'm sitting here writing this I've having some serious clarity... and kind of laughing at myself.  Really?!  THIS day was that bad?!  Seriously self, get over it.  Well, thanks, I am.  Gotta love blog therapy!  Wow, I'm smiling :)

So, what actually happened?  A cold.  A simple cold.  Before you think I've really lost my mind, for anyone else it would have been a simple cold, but for Samuel, it's been so much worse.  Early Tuesday morning, the onset of the cold came with serious sweats, shaking, and worst of all oxygen desaturation.  We pulled him out of the 60's with lots of o2 and some extra albuterol nebulizers.  I hate watching Samuel turn colors, it's just not okay.  But I am really happy we know how to fix it!

My crazy happy boy with a cold, ugh.

From there it's just been hard watching Samuel not feel well.  It just doesn't seem fair that he has to trail around an oxygen cord and that his lungs have to work so hard to breathe.  Ugh.

Like I said, after I write it all out, I really know things could be worse.  I just hate watching things be difficult, things that shouldn't be, like breathing... it just shouldn't have to be.

Back to the catch up portion :)  More photos!

 My boys at school :)

Shopping for Valentine's cards for our classmates... looking at this, 
I completely get the old "buy two get one free?" joke that comes up so often.  Ha! 

 This photo isn't actually a very good picture - no one's even looking!
But, it makes my heart so happy... it's not very often all three of my babies play together, and to catch them in the act is even more rare.  I could stare at this photo all day...

Some pre-op photos from a few weeks ago... you can see why nurses love working with this kid :) 

  Samuel was his normal, hysterical, find joy anywhere, self! 

 Samuel had a quick follow up appointment on one of our days off school, so the entire family went.  This was one of George's primaries from the NICU, love it!   I think they still love each other :)  We got to see quite a few old friends that day.  Seeing these amazing folks makes my voice crack and my eyes water every time.  They were with us through the thick of our scariest months, and they do that every day they go to work with babies and their families.  They amaze me!

Playgrounds get more fun every day! 

 Who is that grown girl?!

 Happy Birthday, daddy :)

No comments: